martedì, aprile 04, 2006

Blogging on the Road: Update 3

Yes, it is definitely time for a new update!

After searching the world over (or so it seemed sometimes) for the perfect place, we have finally found it.
That's right, a decision has been made.
For those of you who have never heard of Natchez, Mississippi, you are really missing out. A quaint town with dozens of Plantations and Antebellum homes, and with some of the kindest, most sincere people I've ever met, it will soon be the place that we call "home".

Now, I must say that at first I had not even the slightest interest in Natchez for only one reason: It is in Mississippi. I don't know about you, but when I think of Mississippi, I think of hicks traipsing through a hole in the wall grocery store with no shoes on (and yes, I saw one of those in another Mississippi town today). The stigma that Mississippi holds for me is deeply engraved in my brain. But after one afternoon in Natchez, I felt like I was stepping back in time to the old south. We will be renting a small (but not too small!) house which was built in the late 1800s and will be playing our harp and flute duet at various events in the historic town.
It has been exciting to see how God has provided us with opportunities to use the musical talents that He has given us and that we have invested so much time, energy and money into.Since Natchez has become a destination wedding spot (if you see these exquisite houses, you'll understand why), and there is not a harpist in town, the owners of these wedding spots are confident that we will be able to secure as many gigs as we can take.
This will provide us with an opportunity to work together (Merisha and I on instruments and Mom managing us), which is our hearts desire. Since the pay is very good, this will also provide us with an opportunity to be at home much more than we first anticipated. Doing just four regular gigs a week (1-2 hours each) will provide well for us, and that's not counting the weddings and other extra events (which we already have found a demand for....we have 14 gigs booked already!!). So we can work outside of the home for 4-16 hours per week (plus optional weekend gigs) and have the rest of that time to work on our homemaking skills!As you can see, I am very excited to see how God has provided for us and taken care of us! We thought that we'd have to work outside of the home for 20-40 hours a week, but He has graciously given us another way.

You want to know something else funny? We unknowingly made a very good connection at the Convention Center. She has booked us to be on two local TV programs, in the newspaper and has scheduled professional photo shoots for us on the grounds of these historic homes and halls. It turns out that the city wants to use us in their publicity. This will be good for us (free publicity for our duet) and good for them (they will be able to use the same photos for their advertisements). It's all so exciting!

So anyway, I must go practice my flute for a bit before bed!
~Robin <><

3 commenti:

James ha detto...

Awesome! I'm excited for y'all! God is good! This really sounds like what ya'll've been looking for.


Natchez is a very nice town. I've only been there twice, I think, but it's very scenic. Right there on the river and all. Lots of kudzu, though, so don't stand in one place for too long.

James

Christain P. C. ha detto...

Flipen sweet! I Like Natchez a lot, we went there couple months ago. I realy was like going back in time.

Robin ha detto...

James and Christian,
Thanks for the encouragement! We'll have to have a House-Churchin' Blogger reunion in Natchez someday :)

See y'all later!
~Robin <><